Chrome beat Opera – IE is next!! No really, it’s true I tells ya!

Chrome-11-logo So everybody (including me) is talking about Google Chrome.

Yeah, great big woop!

It’s simply yet another browser with a number of cool features which the big boys will rip off duplicate over time.

To anyone who truly thinks Chrome will beat Internet Explorer for market share over time. Get your head out of your backside. I respectfully disagree with that assessment.

Until Apple start making machines that are not just for the pretentious who like to live in walled gardens within the realms of affordability for the average person with a brain that equates value to expenditure, Linux becomes intuitive and friendly enough that ordinary people other than those with no social/sex lives and the social skills of a dead gnat like my grandmother can use it, and until Microsoft stops making operating systems and shipping IE (keep smoking that shit if you believe that’s going to happen because Elvis is still buying Taco’s. No really he is!), is that EVER going to happen!!

Lots of sites are reporting really high Chrome adoption rates at the moment. Some, such as Profy, are even as high as 18.99%.

Here’s the thing that most people are missing when they are talking about Google Chrome usage levels:

The people who are using Chrome are the same people who are using Firefox, Opera and the other browsers of the early adopter crowd. In other words it’s us, you and me!

That’s right, it’s the early adopters, like you dear readers, who are using Chrome and we’re all doing it just to check it out and see what it’s like.

Some sites such as Profy and The Inquistr are reporting this, for others it is conveniently or unintentionally ignored in their zealousness to report of the next “cool thing” or the next IE killer!

Will we stick with it? Probably a few of us will, but most of us will eventually return to our usual everyday browser until Chrome becomes more feature complete.

Look at it this way, can you honestly tell me that people who use Firefox are going to live without their extensions? Will users of other browsers willingly abandon all their plugins and widgets? I’d bet my left nut against it!

The only real place Chrome will steal market share from (for any considerable length of time) is Firefox, Opera and the like. IE will be safe on it’s throne.

Just look at the usage statistics for this blog according to Google Analytics.

(Image no longer available)

The only browser, of any significance, that Chrome has more share than is Opera and to be honest I expect Opera to claw that right back as soon as the Chrome feeding frenzy has died down!

Oddly enough the stats for this blog are almost exactly on the button when it comes to the usage stats as being reported by Net Applications as they track global Chrome usage.

(Image no longer available)

What I really want to see is the usage stats from some non tech site, which are frequented mainly by the “average user” who hasn’t got a clue what an extension is and thinks that a script is only for plays and films.

Then we will get a real idea of just how “hot” Chrome is in the real world, which is the world beyond the early adopter tech blogosphere.

Update: 07 September 2008:

Updated the post to remove the unintended implication that sites such as Profy and The Inquisitr had failed to mention that Google Chrome usages levels were so high due to early adopter testing.

Comments

I can see myself sticking with Chrome on my office PC (which is so badly underpowered that the performance difference between Chrome and IE/Firefox is very significant) – but once I’ve gotten to the point where I’m missing the extensions of Firefox I’ll be going right back (at least at home)

I’ll be keeping an eye on it though – although on my home PC, the performance differences are not significant, the multi-process approach has benefits… but how long before Firefox and IE catch up on that one?

Kind of uncomfortable to be quoted here as a tech site with the highest share of Chrome users along with failing to notice Chrome is only used by early adopters now. In fact, I mentioned Chrome would be for the early adopters right in my first review of it and I was totally right. And I was joking with my market share of Chrome on Profy post since I know it is only used by early adopters now and the majority of them arrive to the posts about Chrome itself – tech blogs have published a dozen of posts about Chrome each and they get hundreds of visits to their Chrome-related posts.

Besides, I think all the tech blogs I’ve seen mentioning their Chrome share actually mentioned the appeal of Chrome to the early adopters.

People frequently question Google’s ability to take a product to 1.0, but this project is fundamental to their operations and I have no doubt that this will grow far beyond that. The community at large have speculated, others have predicted for years, that this was on the way.

I suppose that, when asked a couple of years ago, Eric Schmidt was not lying when he said “we are not working on a browser”. Technically, they are just wrapping an existing project and plugging in a new JS VM, right?

Web application developers, rejoice! The browser is multi-process! My site is not your site! It feels like the dawn of a new age in computing, only just like the last one.

@Paul: Thanks a lot for the update, appreciate it. You know, I have started to receive comments on Profy from other bloggers claiming to have over half visitors to their blog from Chrome already. But a quick look shows that their sites are newly-launched blogs about Chrome – and when you write about Chrome, you get lots of Chrome visitors, just logical. I hope people will soon realize that and stop bragging about Chrome market share rapid growth – I’ll believe it when I see mainstream users adopt it equally rapidly at the very least.

WOW!! what a post. Really enjoyed reading it. I really don’t know about these statistics; according to me Chrome is number one because of its speed and good space offered to its users. :)

6. Aftanga says

This is a great article, it demonstrates the impact that early adopters can have in creating traction for a new product at
    launch.

On another note, I think I must be the only one who’s had a negative experience with Chrome! It’s crashed a number of times and I’m experiencing longer than normal loading times on many of the sites I normally visit.

To be honest, I’ve stopped using Chrome now apart for some applications that I don’t need mozilla plugins for, such as tab mix plus. It’s nice having gmail as a Chrome App without any excess browser space being used.

I hope Chrome allow for plugins soon as it really is the best browser under the hood