Download Maelstrom (Game) for Windows, Linux, Mac for Free

Maelstrom

Classic games are awesome and while some fade into the vast dark reaches of lost memory, there are some that stand the test of time.

Maelstrom stands the test of time and then some. Still highly addictive and highly entertaining, this space shooter of the asteroids ilk is still kicking ass since it’s original shareware release in 1993.

Since it’s Mac (Power PC) release it’s gone on to be ported to Linux and Windows as well as being (as far as I know) GPL’d.

I love this game and so did all my friends back in 1993 when we were playing it in the computer lab in school. In fact, we loved this game so much, that a bunch of us made our own version of it called “Spacers 2.3”, which has since been lost to a 3.5 inch disk in the bottom of somebody’s old sock drawer!

So, today I’m bringing some of those memories back and invite you to play along with me.

If you want to join in the fun, here are the download links for the platform of your choice.

UPDATE: These download links no longer work. I’ll update when I find a working copy.

UPDATE 19/09/2011: All links are working again.

Maelstrom 3.0.6 Binaries Download

Linux:
Maelstrom-3.0.6-1.i386.rpm
Maelstrom-3.0.6-1.ppc.rpm
Windows 95/98/ME/NT/XP/Vista/7:
Maelstrom-3.0.6-Windows.zip
BeOS:
Maelstrom-3.0.6-BeOS.zip
MacOS X:
Maelstrom-3.0.6-MacOSX.zip
MacOS Classic:
Maelstrom-3.0.6-PPC.sea.bin

You pilot your ship through the dreaded “Maelstrom” asteroid belt — suddenly your best friend thrusts towards you and fires, directly at your cockpit. You raise your shields just in time, and the battle is joined.
The deadliest stretch of space known to mankind has just gotten deadlier. Everywhere massive asteroids jostle for a chance to crush your ship, and deadly shinobi fighter patrols pursue you across the asteroid belt. But the deadliest of them all is your sister ship, assigned to you on patrol. The pilot, trained by your own Navy, battle hardened by months in the Maelstrom, is equipped with a twin of your own ship and intimate knowledge of your tactics.
The lovely Stratocaster R&R facility never sounded so good, but as you fire full thrusters to dodge the latest barrage you begin to think you’ll never get home…

As a bonus, check out this page where you can download additional sound packs for Maelstrom and check out the “ReadMe” in the .zip file to see how to enable networked multiplayer Maelstrom!

Enjoy!

Comments

1. UKRiggers says

Hey, this is really great. I used to play this back in the… well so long ago I can't remember. In fact so long ago I used to play the black and white version when it first came out! I used to be a Mac freak but my job these days is Windows based so I rarely get chance to go on a Mac. I just love some of the sounds and desperate to get my hands on some of the sound clips to make a mobile phone ringtone for myself. Any ideas if they are available anywhere? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. eugene b says

I tried downloading one of your supposedly free games and all it did was
    open up an advertisement. You’re just another one of those lying, deceiving,
    spamming cocksuckers. I hope you burn in HELL.

How about, instead of acting like a complete and utter dick you realize that this post if over 3 years old and just notify me that the links are no longer working?

I guess it’s easier to be a douche-bag than it is to be reasonable!

3. Anthony says

WOW thank you this was one of my favorite games for Mac I have been trying to find it for PC for years, Now if I can just find Bubble Trouble Or Bubble Trouble X I would be all set

4. Russell E. says

I have had no problems with the high score board. whenever I score > than #10, the game automatically has me enter my name. As far as clearing the board altogether, I’ve never seen that option (that I know of) In this PC version OR the original MAC game. I wish the PC version had more sound folder options. I really liked the Monty Python sounds, and also the Mixed sounds with Star Trek, Simpsons, Monty Python, and a few other snippets all mixed together. My favorite bit was after “Game Over” You’d hear a wierd chorus of Ha Ha Ha ho ho ho, (a snick of a sword blade) and then Bones says “He’s dead, Jim”

Thanks for this download, Paul. When
    I googled Maelstrom for windows, I didn’t find yours at first. Ambrosia wants $15 for this game.
    Also confusing is another game called Maelstrom that is out there. (Ambrosia should sue them for making a game of the same name as theirs)
    BTW, nice reply to the the douchebag :-)

Not sure about getting the game full screen. As far as I know there is no way to do it from within the game but I vaguely remember something about adding a switch to the shortcut, but I’ll be damned if it comes to mind.

5. Brian Brewer says

NIce game, but not what I was looking for. Use to play a game, I thought was called Maelstrom, on a Mac circa 99. The game I’m looking for had missions between various galaxies where you could recruit mercenaries and various ships. Also rewards for completing various legs depended on distance and risk level (safe cargo vs illegal) Will keep looking.
    Glad to see others who enjoyed the old games.

6. A. Nonymous says

I love this game! Used to play it back in the day on my old Mac. The version I used to have played a Jimi Hendrix lick when you completed a level. I kinda prefer Hendrix, but this is awesome to have again. Thanks!

7. Mag.Si says

Makes me remember my studentdays, I got used to play on my first Mac, instead of working on my “Diplomarbeit”…. where’s the time ….. I wonder if someone is able to write an app for playing it on iPad, would be great!!!!!

8. farmer says

Wooow!!! Bows to your feet maaan. This is greaaat!!! Finally I foud it!! xD i remember playing this on Macintosh Quadra 610 in 1993. So cool you put it here. Thanks!

9. jeremy says

hi great game would love to play it again , downloaded the zip file , but how do i load it onto my pc?
    cheers