I’ve had a lot of people tell me that they don’t have time for content marketing. In this podcast I explain why “not having time” is simply an excuse that puts you at a competitive disadvantage and why you must be actively engaged in content marketing for your small business to grow.
In this podcast I address deleting negative reviews and comments about your company / product / service from review sites,pages and other locations.
I mention the reasons why you shouldn’t delete negative reviews, which include:
- How it makes your profile looks fake or fixed, as if you were trying to game the system.
- The missed opportunity to build dialogue and trust with your customers or community
- The missed opportunity to learn from these reviews and improve your product or service.
If you have questions, comments or things that you’d like me to discuss of future episodes please leave me a message in the comments below.
“Why should we bother with social media marketing? We have a website and most of our business comes from Word of Mouth. We’re actually a profitable and very successful local company. Isn’t this just another expense?”
I hear questions like that a lot, and it’s easy to empathize with small business owners who can see social media as just another drain on their already tight time and financial resources.
In the video and audio below I cover 5 reasons why you’re small business needs to be engaged on social media.
Here’s the TL;DR (Too Long Didn’t Read) version for those of you can’t watch or listen right now:
- You don’t really have a choice. Your competition is online an engaging your customers because that’s where your customers are!
- By interacting with your customers online you increase customer loyalty and brand recognition, with added benefit of providing a better customer experience.
- You can find out what your customers want and use that information to provide a better product or service.
- Every post on social media is an opportunity for another sale or conversion, and social media has higher lead-to-close rates that outbound marketing.
- Decreased Marketing Costs. For as little as 1 hour a day and very little cost you can significantly increase your traffic and as a result, conversions.
- It’s great for your Search Engine Rankings (SEO).
Honestly, it’s not a matter if you should be engaged in social media marketing, it’s only about how well you commit to doing it.
Reposting content online, whether it’s on Twitter,or any other social network, can be an awesome way to keep your followers engaged. It can bring attention to your brand from those whose content you’re reposting, and it can provide your audience with new content while you get your own content ready for sharing. Best of all it helps break the cycle of “me, me, me, product, product, product… sell, sell, sell…”, a cycle which is unfortunately all too common.
Reposting, sharing, retweeting can all be seen by your audience as an endorsement, so be careful what you repost. Don’t automate the process, and definitely read / watch / listen to everything you share or you could end up embarrassing yourself or your brand.
On the podcast we talk about a number of topics including how to improve computer science curricula at Universities so that we can turn out developers with real-world skills and ensure that people are studying the skills that they are most suited for.
We also talk about the differences and similarities between online and offline marketing, finding your marketing voice, being authentic, engaging your audience and building your network.
The podcast features musical tracks as well as the interview with yours truly. I’ve highlighted the sections where I appear on the playlist below if you want to skip straight to the interview.
Unfortunately the interview was cut short because I had to leave to deal with a client emergency and we weren’t able to take up the interview again, but Jess edited things so that the ending isn’t too abrupt.
00:00 Mic Break
00:21 Like a Lie – Copeland
04:42 A Real Hero – Electric Youth
09:03 Mic Break
09:47 Lay Your Wet Head Down – Emby Alexander
13:26 Interview w/ Paul pt. 1
25:40 POC – Filmstrip
28:29 MMS 1970s – Filmstrip
30:54 Interview w/ Paul pt. 2
41:21 Sun/Shadow – Holy Ghost Tent Revival
45:37 Mic Break
46:05 Windows Painted Shut – Jam Jars
50:16 Saplings – Jam Jars
Download “Biology of the Blog” mp3. 64.4 MB 54:24