I’ve given out before about the fact that America and American internet users are not the end all and be all of the web.
In fact, if every single internet user in North America were to shuffle off this mortal coil simultaneously then the internet would loose less than 1/7th (one seventh) of its user base.
Just compare the numbers for 2009 as posted by Royal Pingdom and ask yourself why people look to America and the U.S. market for everything when even the European market has almost double the users?
- 1.73 billion – Internet users worldwide (September 2009).
- 18% – Increase in Internet users since the previous year.
- 738,257,230 – Internet users in Asia.
- 418,029,796 – Internet users in Europe.
- 252,908,000 – Internet users in North America.
- 179,031,479 – Internet users in Latin America / Caribbean.
- 67,371,700 – Internet users in Africa.
- 57,425,046 – Internet users in the Middle East.
- 20,970,490 – Internet users in Oceania / Australia.