iPhone 4, video calls, WiFi, 3G, 4G… Video calls on the move? Screw it! It’s a bust and if you hadn’t been dazzled by the technospeak you’d engage your brain and move on to something worth focusing on.
Answer me these questions honestly and you’ll understand why it will be nothing more than a fad:
- Which do you do more – text or call?
- Why do you text rather than call?
- When was the last time you made a call?
- How long did it last and why did it end?
- How was the call quality?
- How often do your calls drop?
- When was the last time you went outside because it was too loud to hear?
- Do you use Skype to call other people?
- How often do you actually turn the webcam on?
Also, video is damn intrusive. It requires more attention than listening to audio and in the case of video phone calls, unless you want to appear to be a complete ass and not look at the video, you can forget about multi-tasking while on the call. It’s more than a little difficult to take notes, type that email, hold that ice cream, pour that drink or change that child while holding a cellphone out in front of you so you can see the screen and they can see you.
Will you really feel like having to get dressed or cleaning your living room just in case the phone rings?
People who cheat in relationships, no more pretending there is no-one in the house with you. She (or he) will just ask you to turn on the camera and pan it around…
Still think video conferencing on cell phones is the way to go?